Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Warranty for 2013 BMW 328i with Code 135808

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Please help.

In February 2020 I bought a used 2013 328i xdrive with 16k miles from the original owner.

After about a month of driving (~ 1k miles) the accelerator pedal didn't respond. I tried to turn it off and on again and that got it working but I held off taking it to the dealership. Anyway, this would continue to happen occasionly but it progressively got worse to the point I'd have to turn it on and off 5-6 times before the gas pedal would respond. One day the check engine light went on so I finally took it to BMW dealership and was initially quoted $2700 but the service advisor quickly offered it for $2400 instead and after some "negotiating" down to $2200 and their final price of $2000. Diagnostics pulled up the code 135808 - "Valvetronic servomotor, position sensors, electrical: Malfunction (among a few other codes).

I do a little googling and find that this is likely caused by a defective part with N20 engines. I call BMW North America and spoke with a supervisor who agreed this is a malfunction due to a defective part and after reaching out to his management team a week later concluded that they will not cover the repair as it is over the warranty by a few months. What do I do.. am I in some position to get it repaired at no cost.. how do I go about it?

Greatly appreciate some guidance. Thanks.